Sunday, January 13, 2019

Pick-Up Game

We stopped by the Methodist Bio-Intensive Agricultural Training Center on our way to Maua on Saturday. Obviously I know next to nothing about agriculture and this post has nothing to do with that. Towards the end of our visit there I met two kids named Destiny and Kinga who were simply kicking a soccer ball around (they thought my name was Wesley because of the shirt I was wearing). We ended up kicking a soccer ball around and playing keep away for about twenty minutes. After those twenty or so minutes we had a short conversation. Destiny asked me where I worked and I told him I worked as a pastor at a church and I got to go to church in Maua on Sunday. They were both excited and told me they both went to separate churches that were just around the corner. Kinga even invited me to his church.

A couple things that stuck out to me from this encounter. First, sometimes all it takes is a "way in" between strangers for them to be able to talk about something that matters. In this chance encounter kicking around a soccer ball and simply having fun opened up a conversation about church. Second, the two boys were excited to tell me where they went to church. Ask yourself, when is the last time you heard someone excitedly offer up where they went to church? If people aren't excited about and sharing where they go to church or more importantly sharing Christ then maybe we need to rethink how we are doing church and do better. Just a thought.

Grace & Peace
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment