Monday, January 28, 2019

Kenya is the Key

Matthew 13:3-9

3 He said many things to them in parables: "A farmer went out to scatter seed. 4 As he was scattering seed, some fell on the path, and birds came and ate it. 5 Other seed fell on rocky ground where the soil was shallow. They sprouted immediately because the soil wasn't deep. 6 But when the sun came up, it scorched the plants, and they dried up because they had no roots. 7 Other seed fell among thorny plants. The thorny plants grew and choked them. 8 Other seed fell on good soil and bore fruit, in one case a yield of one hundred to one, in another case a yield of sixty to one, and in a another case thirty to one. 9 Everyone who has ears should pay attention."

I got my daughter Courtney a keepsake from Kenya. It's a small jewelry box in the shape of Africa with the name of each African country on it. In order to open it up you must remove the key and this particular jewelry box has Kenya as the key. I couldn't help but think of the metaphor that Kenya is the key.

Growing up (and even into adulthood) I never really thought too much about going on an international mission trip. I even found legitimate reasons not to go which usually boiled down to expenses. Even though I was asked numerous times about going I said no (sorry Sheryl and Margret). Dr. Lisa Neslony finally convinced me to go but saying to me "ya know, there's still room for you on our West District trip to Kenya" and on my 40th birthday no less, I finally decided to go. And I'm so grateful that I went last year and again this year. Once I officially decided to go to Kenya in 2018 I was told by friends to go into the trip with no expectations and simply see and hear what God would say to me through the experience and the people in Kenya. It was and still is really good advice. I encouraged our team this year to do the same as I went back with a different team. But having already been I wondered to myself what new things I would gain and learn from the experience. I have to say that what I learned and what I took from the trip was not what I expected, and that's a good thing. Actually that's a great thing.

I was so ready to do the work of ministry by building and being the hands of Christ that I was struck by the amount of the "doing of ministry" from a relational perspective. It started early on in the trip when I simply began kicking around a soccer ball with two boys as we toured the Methodist biointensive farm. After playing for a few minutes we began to talk and I told them I was a pastor, at which point they pointed to their church that was "just across the street" and invited me to go with them. Of course I couldn't because we were continuing on to Maua that afternoon but it was a good reminder that the work of ministry begins by being in conversation and relationship with people.

How can you be in relationship with others and share the love of Christ?


On our first full day in Maua we were present for the dedication of a water well that will provide clean water for an entire community. It was an amazing sight to see when we drove up and saw the equipment there drilling for water. It reminded me of how lucky I am to have clean water each and every day.

What daily necessities do you take for granted? Maybe it's clean water, maybe it's knowing where your next meal is going to come from, maybe it's a roof over your head. 


On Tuesday we painted Chaplain Emily's office. It was her first time to paint in her life and she LOVED it. She continually said wow when she saw the new purple and peach paint that would make her office more welcoming. It reminded me how much of a difference doing something "small" for someone can make in their lives because it is not small to them.

What is something "small" you can do for someone today to make a big difference?


On Wednesday I was ready to work but instead went to a class one graduation. Part of our team processed in just behind the graduates and set on stage in front of everyone as honored guests. We were surprised how much attention was paid to us as guests by people we had never met. It reminded me of the importance of hospitality and honoring another culture even if it is different from yours.

What can you do today to learn something from someone that is different than you to make you a better person?


On Thursday we dedicated the House of Hope on behalf of the West District of the Central Texas Conference and Latvia. It was a moving experience to hear Stanley Gitari and Kristine Rozefelds speak about how this 10 X 20 house can be a place of hope not just for those who live in it but the community around it.

How can your home or church or place of work be a place of hope for others?


Throughout the week I had conversations with Ally, Kimi, Laurie, and Trish about their experiences as medical professionals working in the Maua Methodist Hospital. It reminded me of how much the Kenyan people were able to accomplish with their limited resources and how much more they could do with resources that we as Americans take for granted.

How much more can we all do with the resources and the gifts we have been given?


Most of all, looking back on our trip I appreciate how well our team was able to work together. Each person added to the team in their own way and each person stepped up in the ways that were needed to make the trip successful. It reminded me of the importance of community and the importance of relationships. I guess my friends Ben, Margret, and Sheryl were right when they said that if I went to Maua I would be changed and I would want to go back. It was a different experience this year. I think I was so busy with BOM paperwork, end of year reports, packing, and moving churches that I didn't have time to think about how this year's trip would be different that last year/s and for that I am grateful. I again went into the trip with no expectations and simply let the spirit work through me. I saw God move in the people that we helped and through our team.

Perhaps you have visited a place in the United States or abroad that is "key" to your faith. A place that was different, a place that was outside your comfort zone, a place where you saw and experienced things you never expected that changed you forever, a place where seeds were planted. Seeds are scattered but they have to take root somewhere. Where has that happened for you?

Ask yourself-why is that place key to your faith and your understanding of the gospel?

Grace & Peace
Kevin


1 comment:

  1. I just returned from Kenya as well. I have traveled there 7 times working at Living Hope High School in Bungoma. Your Blog was right on. Thank you for sharing! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete