Friday, January 12, 2018

Traveling to Kenya


Traveling to Kenya involved spending almost 24 hours on an airplane and in airports. We were told that it would not be easy and it wasn't. It was cramped, the person behind me repeatedly kicked my seat, I got very restless while we were on the airplane but at least I got to watch a few movies, and then we were jam packed into a minivan with luggage to go to the Methodist Resort and Conference Centre for a few hours of sleep. All this to say that it was not comfortable, and maybe that's the point and will be the biggest takeaway for me from the day of travel. I am so used to being comfortable with everything I have that I don't think enough about those who don't have the comforts and blessings that I have. That is a big reason that I wanted to go on this pilgrimage (that's what it is called on the front of our trip devotional guide).

I gave up many comforts to be here such as being away from my family, my two churches, the comfort of my own bed, etc. This trip would not have been possible for me without the support of my family, friends, churches, and the mission team who have supported me financially and through support and prayer. I cannot say thank you enough but please know how much it means to me. I am especially grateful to kathy for taking a leap of faith and stepping outside her own comfort zone to allow me to go.

Often times God calls us to get out of our comfort zone to do what we are called to do. I do know that I will be out of my comfort zone while I am here just by the simple fact that I am away from my family. I know that this trip will change the way I look at things in my own life as well as in the life of others. On top of telling me to bring home a six foot tall carved wooden giraffe as a carry on, my friend Ben (aka Batman) told me that I should go into this trip with an open mind with no expectations other than to listen to what God has to say to me. I don't know exactly what that will be or how that will happen but I am excited knowing that God will speak to me through this experience.

Blessings,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment