Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Be Still and Know...


"The Lord says, "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in all the earth." ~Psalm 46:10

This scripture was in our devotional for today and it was rather fitting. This verse used to frustrate me because I have a very hard time being still, just ask anyone who knows me. But that's because I made it about me and only focused on the "be still" part of the verse and not on what follows which is an exaltation of God while I am still.

Today, there were times while we were digging a trench for a wall that I could have gotten frustrated. We took a long break and a longer lunch simply because that is what the foreman told us to do. They take the time to take breaks. Myself, Margie, and Jennifer (who are part of our team) were digging a trench along the fence line and we began talking with Samson who is one of our drivers this week. Samson did not have to work with us but he chose to and I am so glad that he did. He began explaining the language in Kenya. He told us there were 42 tribal languages that were spoken in Kenya but Swahili is the language that everyone knows and that is the way people communicate. For instance, when Kenyan people trade in the marketplace they usually will speak in Swahili because it is the common language. He then began to teach us some Swahili words. I asked for the Swahili words for the primary tools we were using: an ax, a shovel, and a machete. In case you were wondering the Swahili word for ax is shoka, shovel is kijiko, and machete is ponga. We really enjoyed these conversations with Samson and learned a great deal from him.

Later in the afternoon a doctoral student named Raj came to help us dig the trench. He is here on a medical trip. He is originally from India and is currently a medical student in Galveston. Between digging, as we were taking breaks, we talked about how how we ended up where we were. We probably talked for about 30-45 minutes while we were working and taking breaks. We even found we had a commonality, he grew up in Beaumont and I met my wife in Beaumont. So the place is special to both of us for different reasons.

A reflection question in our devotion today was: did you have a still moment today when you exalted God? I did. As I took one short breather late this afternoon and Raj began to work, I was silent and simply thanked God for today. Neither Samson or Raj had to be there working-they chose to work and for that I am thankful. They gave of their time and came to work because they wanted to help out. My day would have not been as fruitful if not for the two of them. I am grateful that God put them in the same place as me today to fulfilling a greater purpose then digging a trench to build a wall. I hope that they are able to come back and help tomorrow.

Have you had a still moment today when you have exalted God? If not I encourage you to do so now. If you have had a still moment with God today, having another one can't hurt...

Peace,
Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment